Wygant Floral uses only the highest quality flowers for our fresh flower arrangements, and the following provides some simple tips on how to care for your flowers.
Following these simple steps can extend the life of your fresh cut flower arrangement.
Extending the life of cut flowers
Wygant floral arrangements are delivered with a floral life extender already added. A floral life extender is essentially sugar which helps keep the bacteria count in the water low.
Did you know an Aspirin can extend the life of fresh cut flowers? Adding an Aspirin to your arrangement will lengthen the life of your bouquet.
Even flowers need water daily
Just like humans, flowers also need fresh water. Checking your flowers water every day, even if the vase contains foam will promote longer lasting flower arrangement. We recommend that you keep the level high and make sure that there is no floating debris in the water as that could encourage the growth of bacteria.
Benefits of flower food
If you completely change the water, we suggest thoroughly cleaning the vase to remove any potential bacteria. Once your vase is clean, and water has been replaced don’t forget the floral life extender.
Floral life extender rewards
- Flower food contains the correct ingredients ensuring proper nourishment
- Flower food keeps bacteria at bay. Bacteria can block the stems which can prevent them from absorbing water.
- Encourages buds to open
- Lengthens the life of the bouquet
Checking the water in your flowers and adding the proper amount of flower food is the easiest way to extend the life of your beautiful bouquet. Please note that improperly mixed floral life extender can, in fact, do more harm than good.
Re-cut the stems
Every few days you should remove the flowers from the vase and re-cut the stems. Before removing the flowers, tie the stems with twine just above the vase’s edge to avoid disturbing the beautiful arrangement. Don’t forget to clean the container, add fresh water and plant food before placing them back into the vase.
- Remove 3/4" to 1" from the bottom of the stem.
- Cut the stem at an angle. Cutting at an angle provides the flower the best chance to take in water.
- Avoid piercing or smashing the stem. Damaging the stem can destroy the vessels and prevent water absorption.
- Remove any dead, damaged blooms or foliage that falls below the waterline in the vase.
Display your flowers in a cool location
Contrary to popular belief displaying your flowers in direct sunlight is not recommended. Typically flowers prefer temperatures between 65 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. (18 to 22 degrees Celsius)
Keep your flowers away from the following to ensure longevity
- Direct sunlight
- Heating or Cooling vents
- Directly under ceiling fans
- On top of TV’s or Radiators, virtually anything that gives off heat as heat can cause your flowers to dehydrate.
- Ripening fruit. Did you know that ripened fruit releases tiny amounts of ethylene gas that can age them prematurely?
We hope you enjoy your floral arrangement and if you have any questions about caring for your flowers please contact Wygant Floral
or call 232-3354. Wygant Floral, committed to excellence in design, quality floral products, and professional service.